~ 5 min read
Web3 Domains for your website by Unstoppable Domains
Launched in 2018, Unstoppable Domains is a blockchain domain name provider and gateway to the decentralized web. Unstoppable Domains allows anyone to purchase a decentralized domain name that is minted as an NFT on the Ethereum blockchain, giving the owner full ownership and control. Domain names can be used for payments across 40+ wallets and exchanges. The company is backed by Draper Associates and Boost VC, and supported by grants from the Ethereum Foundation and Zilliqa Foundation.
A Bridge between Web2 and Web3
“Unstoppable Domains” is a startup from San Francisco that dreams of bridging the gap between Web2 and Web3 via blockchain domains and other technologies.
When you use an unstoppable domain, you can generate a blockchain-connected web address that looks very similar to a URL (e.g., Yourname.crypto). This converts a wallet address into a more straightforward and easily rememberable domain name. Your domain will be connected to decentralized applications (dApps) and crypto exchanges.
Transacting with Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies on the internet is simpler with these unstoppable domains. In other words, we are talking about a technology providing readable web addresses that take away the necessity to know a recipient’s public key address.
Suppose you consider that this address is, in general, a bulky and lengthy string of letters and digits. In that case, the advantage of unstoppable domains is clear.
Unstoppable domains enable you to develop and upload decentralized websites to the InterPlanetary File System (IPFS) a distributed file storage and peer-to-peer sharing system.
When you purchase and register an unstoppable domain, you gain complete ownership over its name for life unless you sell it. Most importantly, you do not enjoy the same benefits when using standard online domain providers.
Grab yours before it’s gone forever. Starting at $5+
Buying a Domain
Note: Keep a dictionary on hand at all times during your purchase.
Once you have searched for a domain that you like, you can take the following steps to purchase it.
- Add domains to your cart
- Click on the Cart icon on the top-right then click on Checkout
- If you are not buying with Store Credit (or Promo Credit), you may choose between Credit/Debit Card, PayPal, Cryptocurrency, or Crypto.com App as your payment method
If you are sending a crypto payment from an exchange please be sure you are sending enough to cover the fixed cost of fees and still have enough to pay for your order.
Exchanges will discount their the fees from the amount you wish to send, which means if you do not cover these costs your order will be Underpaid.
For payments with crypto, use Main chains only. Our crypto payment provider does not support side-chains like Polygon or BSC. When sending crypto or stablecoins make sure you’re using main-chains.
If you send tokens over a different chain, the funds are considered lost since we cannot access them. We won’t be able to retrieve them either.
Redirect to Traditional Domain
In order to set up a redirection to a traditional domain, you will need to do a redirection via index.html on your NFT Domain so users are sent to a traditional domain.
- On your computer, open a text editing software (for example: Notepad for Windows or TextEdit for Mac) and paste the following code.
<!DOCTYPE html> <html> <head> <title>HTML Meta Tag</title> <meta http-equiv = "refresh" content = "1; url = YOUR WEBSITE URL HERE" /> </head> <body> <p>YOUR WEBSITE DESCRIPTION HERE </p> </body> </html>
Replace YOUR WEBSITE HERE with your URL (make sure to include “http://” or “https://” as respectively” and YOUR WEBSITE DESCRIPTION HERE with a short description of your website and save the file as index.html (do not use any other name).
- Go to the My Domains section of our website, click Manage over the domain you wish to redirect, and click the Website tab.
- Go to Upload Files to IPFS and click Upload Website Files.
- Click Upload and browse for the index.html file and confirm.
- Scroll down further and click Launch Website.
Access Domain using Brave
The Brave browser is supporting a decentralized network not part of the traditional Domain Name Service (DNS), which is increasingly susceptible to hijacking, denial-of-service attacks, and phishing attacks. Unstoppable Domains allows users to build and host decentralized websites for a variety of use cases, including creating NFT galleries, video, and file sharing.
With Brave, users can access some of the 30,000 decentralized websites that are now live, including:
- Pomp.crypto, owned by Anthony Pompliano, host of The Pomp Podcast
- Brad.crypto, an NFT art gallery owned by Unstoppable Domains co-founder Brad Kam
- Kyber.crypto, which makes swapping digital assets and cryptocurrencies simple and efficient
- vault74.crypto, decentralized chat with 4k streaming and file sharing
- voodfy.crypto, decentralized video hosting, and live streaming
- Switcheo.crypto, the world’s leading DEX platform
- Tinyracing.crypto, completely decentralized game on InterPlanetary File System (IPFS)
- Dtube.crypto, community-powered video sharing platform (a decentralized YouTube)
- Huddle01.crypto, a decentralized video conferencing system designed for performance, affordability & security